I regularly ask my clients what they eat for breakfast, the most common replies are usually ‘I don’t have time for breakfast” or “I have to eat something simple and easy’ which tends to be cereal or toast.
Breakfast is undoubtedly the most important meal of the day as it stokes your metabolism and fuels you for the day ahead.
As with any meal, it should contain a good balance of carbohydrate, protein and fat to stabilise the blood sugar levels and prevent that dreaded 10am crash when you would reach out for the Diet Coke.
I have put together two easy grab and go breakfasts that anyone can make.
These simple breakfasts will leave you feeling satisfied and ready to take on the day with energy. I usually alternate between both before a long day at the gym and I have never felt better!
Breakfast Parfait In A Jar
- Grab a mason jar or something similar. Add the fruit of your choice, I find that a banana and berries work best.
- Add a cup of old fashioned oats, a cup of coconut milk or almond milk and a tablespoon of full fat natural yoghurt.
- Then put in a choice of nuts (sliced almonds work really well), honey, coconut flakes or flax seeds, chia seeds etc.
- Screw the lid onto the jar and give it a good shake.
- Place in the fridge overnight to allow the milk to absorb the oats.
- It’s then ready in the morning to provide a satisfying and healthy breakfast.
- You can also make a couple ahead of time as they keep well in the fridge for up to 3 days.
The Ultimate Breakfast Shake
- Get out your blender and place a full banana and 2 cups of coconut or almond milk in the beaker.
- Pour in a tablespoon of coconut oil and natural peanut butter.
- Add half an avocado and a handful of grounded nuts and seeds.
- Throw in a raw egg (optional) and half a cup of full fat yoghurt.
- Give it a whizz and you’re ready to go!
These nutritious and fulfilling meals will save you time in the morning rush and keep you going until lunchtime. No more excuses.